Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Lockout has Collinsworth going back to high school … as a coach

People are doing different things as the NFL lockout drags on ? some are finding alternate employment, others are going back to school to get their degrees, others are boxing and riding bulls, and most players are engaging in workouts they've put together with their teammates.

But what are you supposed to do if you're an NFL broadcaster, you're stuck waiting for play to resume, and you have very little faith in the idea that it will do so on time? If you're former Cincinnati Bengals receiver Cris Collinsworth, now one of the most respected voices in the business as part of NBC's�"Sunday Night Football"�crew, you go back to high school.

As a coach.

At his own site, FootballPros.com, Collinsworth said that he has accepted the offer of head coach Dale Mueller to become the receivers coach at Highlands High in Kentucky, where Collinsworth's son Jac just happens to attend and play. "I had already polluted his brain with most of my receiving advice," Collinsworth wrote. "But what the heck, the NFL will probably miss at least half of their season anyway, I agreed. Today is my first day. I just got the playbook and I feel like a first year rookie all over again. The plays are scrambled eggs in my brain, and I feel a little anxious. But, I love coaching. I coached many of these kids in the junior football league, and they always kept me entertained."

Great idea, but we're less than entertained by Collinsworth's notion that half the season could be lost. Especially since the 12-time Emmy winner is pretty dialed in when it comes to league matters, and probably wouldn't make a commitment like this unless he thought there was really something to a truncated season.

"I had a Xavier Soccer coach tell me that at least once a week he rolls the ball out on the field and steps aside," Collinsworth wrote. "He lets the kids play so that he can learn from them. He said they have a creative imagination that no adult could understand. I hope I can bring some of that imagination to Highlands HS. After four straight state football championships, there is only one way for the Highlands Bluebirds to go with me. Maybe the NFL will save me and actually play football, but if not, you will know where to find me on Friday nights. Go Birds!"

We can only hope the NFL will step in and let Collinsworth return to his primary job on time … but until then … sure. Go Birds! It's pretty cool that Collinsworth gets to coach his son, and the team will surely benefit from his experience. It's just too bad it's under these particular circumstances.

Follow Yahoo! Sports on Facebook and be the first to know about the most interesting stories of the day.

Other popular Yahoo! Sports stories:
? Why NBA star's bold tattoo may not last long
? Video: Ballboy costs tennis player a point
? 10 oddest places the Stanley Cup trophy has gone

Alessandra Ambrosio Amanda Detmer Emma Stone Raquel Alessi Marisa Coughlan

No comments:

Post a Comment