Monday, February 21, 2011

Video: Roddick wins in Memphis on spectacular diving winner

Andy Roddick called it the "best shot I've ever hit in my life." Considering it was a tournament-winning, Boris Becker-style, all-out dive for a winner that gave him his 30th career title and a tense victory over an up-and-coming star, that doesn't sound like hyperbole. 

The shot capped a thrilling 7-6 (5), 6-7 (11), 7-5 victory for Roddick over Milos Raonic in the finals of Memphis. Without it, the big-hitting Canadian would have been serving at deuce to get into a decisive tiebreak. 

Nobody was as surprised at the end result as Roddick:

"I played a pretty good point before that. Just making the return, you get disheartened when he doesn't miss the next ball because it's tough to get a serve back. He had a great volley there. I don't really remember much else besides the fact that I went for the ball, I hit it, I didn't really think much of it. Then I heard people cheering. I was like, ‘No, there's no way that went in.' I guess it did."

Roddick's knee and elbow were bloodied in the dive, but he didn't seem to mind as he was awarded the winner's trophy for the third time in Memphis.

Amanda Righetti Michelle Branch Melissa Howard Samantha Mumba Busy Philipps

No comments:

Post a Comment